Thursday, January 22, 2015

#ThrowbackThursday - Lessons Learned at The Science Leadership Academy

Today's #ThrowbackThursday brings us to a post I wrote after my first visit to The Science Leadership Academy. It was my first experience into the underbelly of what a "school gone right" looks like. I had the opportunity to spend an amazing day with the school's founder, Chris Lehmann, and his staff and students. Want to find out what makes a successful school? Read this article.

Written: May 30, 2008

Topic: Best practices at SLA

Who might be interested: Educators interested in learning about and using ideas that lead to school success.

Favorite excerpt:  When parents ask if SLA will prepare their children to do as well on standardized test as some other schools Mr. Lehman explains that the school is not about test scores. Instead he explains this is a place where students are not judged simply by test scores, but rather it is a place where they consider the students' head, heart, and hands. This was evident during my visit. Something I noticed early was there were no disturbing, ear piercing bells or announcements. When I asked Mr. Lehman to speak about this, he said it was because they were educating humans, not animals being trained to respond to a bell.

Reader question: Which of the practices outlined in this article take place (or you wish took place) where you work?

Post:

Science Leadership Academy – Lessons Learned

I had the opportunity to join my colleagues for a visit to Chris Lehman’s much lauded (recently to me by Will Richardson and Jason LevyScience Leadership Academy (SLA). Some of the best professional development I have engaged in is visits to schools that have the kind of reputation and stand for what I believe in. Then I watch, discuss, write, read about, implement, and share the best of what I discover. 

Chris Lehman, SLA's founding principal, has distinct views about what he believes schools should be doing for their students as he shared with us and in an Edutopia interview. "When I hear people say it's our job to create the twenty-first-century workforce, it scares the hell out of me. Our job is to create twenty-first-century citizens. We need workers, yes, but we also need scholars, activists, parents -- compassionate, engaged people. We're not reinventing schools to create a new version of a trade school. We're reinventing schools to help kids be adaptable in a world that is changing at a blinding rate."

Read the rest at: http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2008/05/science-leadership-academy-lessons.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment